Friday, July 11, 2014

iphoneography: the great debate

Ever since the launch and popularity of Instagram a few years ago, I've had some beef with the idea of "iPhoneography," or iPhone photography. Coming from someone who takes a lot of pride in and spends a lot of time and money on her own photography, it was really frustrating for me to see people around me equipped with nothing but an iPhone and a handful of crappy filters calling themselves photographers. I hesitated to give in to the trend when finally upgraded to an iPhone two years ago, but since then there have been so many changes to the world of iPhoneography that it was hard not to want to get involved. I realized after getting an Instagram and exploring this medium that iPhoneography really is a new frontier in the world of photography. While I will still argue that it's still not the same as the more traditional route, I think that iPhoneography is just as vaild. If it helps to expose people (photography pun not intended) to the world of photography, then all is well.

Over the past couple of years, I've come to love iPhonegraphy. It's a great option for snapping pics along with my DSLR. I love trying new photo editing apps and experimenting with iPhoneography specific products to make that little picture look exactly how I want it. Sometimes it's fun to compare some of my iPhone photos to my more "professional" pictures just to see the similarities in quality. It's crazy to see how far technology has come! Below are just a few examples of this:


left: iPhone     right: DSLR
the Fourth of July fireworks in my hometown;

top: iPhone     below: DSLR
a couple of concerts, The 1975 and Mumford and Sons;

left: iPhone     right: DSLR
landscapes, from beautiful Ohio to the mountains of Colorado;

left: iPhone     right: DSLR
and the common selfie.


The bottom line is if you were like me, refusing to investigate out of bitterness and feeling superior, get over yourself. I did and I haven't regretted it yet. Experiment with of all of the creative outlets you have at your disposal, whether it be film, digital, or your handy iPhone. Art is one of the only things we've got going for us. We might as well take advantage of everything we've got.

xx. Sheridan
Tumblr | Facebook | YouTube

p.s. follow me on Instagram! @sheridan120

No comments:

Post a Comment